Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Which course?

There are two different postgraduate research degrees that you can undertake at the Nuffield Department of Women's & Reproductive Health.

  1. The Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) in Women's and Reproductive Health (a DPhil is the Oxford name for a PhD or doctorate); or
  2. The Master of Science by Research (MSc(Res)) in Women's and Reproductive Health. 

Some key differences to consider:

DPhilMSc by Research
Usual time for completion 3-4 years 2-3 years
Minimum residence requirement 6 terms 3 terms
Minimum period of standard fee liability 6 terms 3 terms
Maximum period of standard fee liability* 9 terms 6 terms
Maximum time to submit 15 terms 9 terms
Length of thesis  50,000 words 30,000 words

*Please note that continuation fees may apply

You may choose, with approval from the Medical Sciences Board, to change course from an MSc by Research to a DPhil, or vice versa, after you start your course, providing you have the appropriate funding and academic support.